Building a Retirement Homes for Aging in Place
Thousands of baby boomers reach retirement age every day, and there is a growing demand for universal design features to adapt to aging in place. If you are interested in building a nursing home, make sure that the house plan you choose can include the essential in-situ age function. These features allow you to live at home throughout the golden years without the need for modification.
If building an aging house on site does not sound exciting, then you will find that combining the age function in place does not prevent you from building a modern luxury house that you like to live in. If you build the right houses, you won't even notice them.
What does "aging in place" mean?
As age grows and needs change, in-situ aging can continue living at home safely and independently.
According to the National Aging Resettlement Committee, more than 90% of the elderly prefer to age in their own homes rather than move to high-end housing. However, many of their houses require expensive renovations.
Houses with universal design functions can be properly aged without any modification.
What is the universal design of nursing homes?
The National Association of House Builders defines universal design as "the design of products and environments that everyone can use to the greatest extent without adaptation or special design." A house with a universal design can satisfy anyone's needs. Needs, even if their needs and capabilities have changed.
Besides, if you have your land, the first step's main steps are completed, and it becomes easy to build your dream retirement home. To learn more about building a house on your land, read our blog post and learn about 14 things you should know when building a house on your land.
What is the universal design plan commonly used in nursing homes?
Some general design features that are critical to general aging include:
- Single-story residence-single-story houses or multi-story houses with single-story residence (at least the first floor has a kitchen, full bathroom, and bedroom) and elevator.
- Stepless entrance: There should be at least one entrance that has no steps that will accommodate people using a walker or wheelchair and access to the main room of the house without steps.
- Open floor plan: The house should include ample open space for easy manipulation and good visibility. NAHB recommends 5 feet x 5 feet of headroom in the living room, bedroom, and bathroom.
- Wide corridors and doorways: The corridors and doorways' width should be large enough to accommodate wheelchairs. The exact width of the doorway should be at least 32 inches; the minimum width of the corridor is 36 inches.
Some other standard nursing home functions that can adapt to aging include:
- Flushing threshold
- Non-slip floor
- Reinforced bathroom wall for handrails or built-in handrails
- Zero threshold shower with seat
- Overhead power socket
- Lower the electrical switch
- Lower work surface
- Pull-out shelf
- Easy-to-access storage space
- Bright lights
- Lever-type door handle and rocker type electrical switch
When viewing the retirement home plan, build your dream home.
When you build a nursing home, it may be the last house you buy. Although it is essential to incorporate aging functions in some places, you can still build a comfortable and stylish house that you like to live in.
If you want a gourmet kitchen that comes with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, then a house designed for aging in place can have one of the best gourmet kitchens that you could ever want.
Dream of a luxurious outdoor living area with a kitchen and custom swimming pool? Home theater? With the right design, you can enjoy them in the future.
Your nursing home is luxurious, beautiful, and comfortable and can meet your needs and the needs of the next few years. Build the retirement home of your dreams. You deserved!
We are a custom home builder in central Texas and provide our unique model home centrallylocated on MainStreet America so that you can decide which room type and make the most suitable plan for you and your family.
Contact us now to make your dream home come true!