Second Story Additions
G&R Builders: Your Source for Second Story Additions IN Greater Houston
G&R Builders has been helping homeowners all over The Woodlands, Spring, and Greater Houston areas for over ten years. From renovations and rehabs to new constructions, our team of professionals has done it all. One of the most popular services we offer is the second-story addition. This is a great way to expand a home without having to buy a new one, adding rooms above garages, or even atop a current ranch-style house.
If you're considering a second-story addition in the Houston area and don't know where to turn, call the team at G&R Builders today. We will work with you to discuss your options and ensure the best possible result for your budget.
Second Story Additions Are More than Just a "Remodel"
Installing a second story involves a lot of work and detailed planning. You can't just trust any remodeling company to get the job done right. Instead, you need a team with architectural and engineering experience. As a full-service construction company, G&R Builders has both. That means you can rest assured that we're prepared to meet any and all challenges associated with your addition.
- We work with utility contractors to handle electrical upgrades, plumbing extensions, HVAC improvements, and more.
- We properly calculate the weight and height requirements of your new structure.
- We plan and frame the entire layout of your new story, including bathrooms, bedrooms, storage space, etc.
- We can make allotments for media or game rooms, kids' rooms, or other unique spaces, and frame the new story to bring your vision to life.
- We can arrange for all permitting and inspections required by Harris County and the State of Texas.
Add Space and Value to Your Home
It's important to understand that adding a second story to your home is essentially like building a new house from scratch. It will require all the same steps and take a similar amount of time. Fortunately, you'll be working with the professionals at G&R. We'll do everything we can to streamline the process and get the most value out of your new space.
- Our architects will work with you to design your new story to suit your needs and budget.
- We can handle both full story additions and partials, accommodating master bedrooms and bathrooms as needed.
- We can install extra stories above garages and other spaces, creating detached or attached mother-in-law suites.
- We will inspect your foundation and load-bearing walls to ensure your home is capable of handling a second story.
From planning to completion, the team at G&R Builders will be there to help you get the most from your second story addition. If you're looking to expand your space and add value to your existing home, book a consultation with G&R Builders today.
The Top Questions to Ask Your Second Story Additions
Yes, you can! There are a few different ways to go about it, and the method you choose will likely depend on the existing configuration of your home as well as your personal preference.
One option is to simply build an addition onto the existing structure. This could be a second story added onto the side of the house, or a new wing added onto the back. This would give you the most space and flexibility in design, but it is also usually the most expensive and disruptive option, since it generally involves significantly altering the footprint of your existing home.
It really depends on the project. Some second story additions can be completed in as little as six to eight weeks, while others may take three to four months or longer. The primary factors that affect the timeline are the size and complexity of the project, potential weather delays, and the availability of workers and materials.
It really depends on the specific situation. In general, it is usually cheaper to build up rather than out since you can make use of the existing foundation and structure. Building up also generally requires less materials than building out.
However, there are exceptions to every rule. If you have a crooked or uneven Foundation, it might be cheaper to start from scratch with a new foundation by building out. Additionally, slopes or other difficult terrain features can sometimes make it more expensive to build up rather than just leveling off the land and building out.
The addition of a second story can definitely add value to your home, both in terms of resale value and curb appeal. Here are a few reasons why this may be the case:
1. A second story can give your home a more polished look, making it appear more expensive and upmarket.
2. It can also increase your home's square footage, which is always a selling point for potential buyers.
3. If done correctly, a second story can also make excellent use of previously unused space in your home, such as an attic or garage. This extra living space can be used as an extra bedroom, office, playroom, or even rental property.
Adding a second story to your home can be a great way to increase living space and add value to your property. There are a few things to keep in mind when planning a second story addition, however, including zoning regulations, extra framing and support costs, and damaged or unsightly existing exterior finishes. Zoning regulations may limit the height of your second story, so it's important to check with your local building department before starting construction. Extra framing and support costs can also add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to the overall project cost, so it's worth getting estimates from three or four different contractors before settling on one. And finally, any damage to existing exterior finishes (siding, shingles, windows, etc.)